Given how extensively cell phones come into use these days, I believe we’re all aware of what Truecaller is. In one of the app’s recent updates, they rolled out a free call recording feature for their users. In this article, we will explain how you can enable and use it.
Earlier, there existed several free third-party apps specifically meant to be able to record phone calls. But, after the crackdown on cyber security and privacy rights issues, most of those were shelved and abandoned. Google restricted these apps from running and got rid of the API that was used for the purpose. Given how important recording calls can be for some people, several smartphone manufacturers integrated call-recording features into their phones. With new reforms and developments, Truecaller rolled out version 12 of their app last month that made the call recording feature, one that was previously available to only premium users, free to all. Let’s see how you can set it up.
How to use Truecaller to record your calls
The process in place here is pretty simple. First things first, you have to make sure that you have the Truecaller app downloaded on your phone and an account set up an account there with all your credentials. After that, follow the steps below:
- Launch the Truecaller app on your phone
- Click on the top-left icon to open the options menu and from the list of options, select Call Recordings
- This will open the Call Recordings sub-setting page. Here, you’ll see an option to enable call recordings via the Truecaller app. Toggle this option on
- Truecaller will then ask you to enable permissions to record calls. If you’re sure of the permissions it is seeking, select Continue
- You will be asked to enable the Accessibility feature. Go to the required settings page and you’ll see an option by the name of Installed devices. Click on it.
- You’ll see the Truecaller Call Recording option listed on the page.
- Tap on this setting and set it on
Go back a few steps till you reach a Truecaller page and tap on Got it. Do that and you’re done! Every time you make a phone call now, you’ll see an option to record it. Truecaller also offers you an automatic call recording option where the app record calls on its own. Here’s how that setting can be enabled:
- Visit the Call Recording page on the Truecaller app as done above
- Click on the Customize icon on the top-right
- Select the Auto record option and you’re done
Users should note that this call recording facility is not available for iPhone users. Oftentimes, iOS’ restrictive policies prohibit third-party apps from seeking access to use the phone’s microphone. This made it tough for Truecaller to integrate this feature on iPhones.
How do I record a Phone call on my Android Phone?
If you do not trust Truecaller and are looking for a third-party replacement of it to record your calls, your best bet is Google’s Phone app. The call recording feature was only recently added to the Phone app and it works very well. Here’s how you can use it.
- Make sure you have the Phone app up and running on your phone
- Open the app and click on the triple-dotted menu icon
- Select Settings and further tap on Call Recording
- You will then be presented with options based on the type of calls you want to record. Follow the instructions and once done, select Always Record.
That is all you had to do here. We hope that you will now be able to record calls using Truecaller or a third-party app like Phone by Google.
Conclusion: As you can see from the mentioned method, call recording on Truecaller is extremely flawless and works brilliantly. The recording quality is also so crisp and clear. Truecaller also mentioned that all the call recordings are stored locally and no one except you will have access to them, so you don’t have to worry about your privacy.
Though the list of supported devices is short, digging a little deep helped in knowing that it will work regardless and the functionality remained the same. Do try out the feature and let us know how helpful and functional this feature is for you. The article is to help you record calls hoping that you have full consent of the other person on call and we don’t encourage recording calls without full disclosure. Do try out this feature on Truecaller and let us know how your experience was.